Tried and failed at DIY? Found out that design-build is too expensive? Don’t worry, we’ve got you! This includes everything you need to quickly build a garden on your patio, balcony, or roof deck:
• Planter: reinforced fiberglass with drainage holes and UV-stabilized color. This mother is built to last outdoors, unlike a terra cotta or plastic pot that may only last 1-2 years. The planter’s neutral, earth tone color brings your attention where you want it: to the colorful plants. The modern design features clean lines with an overturned lip at the top and low-profile feet that work with the drainage holes to promote good drainage. The planter is lightweight, so you can easily carry it from your door to your outdoor space, and it won’t weigh down your balcony or roof deck.
• Drainage: A key to good plant health is drainage. This recycled material will keep your plants’ roots healthy, while also reducing the risk of pavement staining that can result from standing water inside a planter. Unlike standard drainage materials, this material weighs next to nothing, which allows for more soil depth (and therefore more resilient plants) in weight-sensitive spaces.
• Fabric: If your drainage layer clogs, it’s all over. This long-lasting, commercial-grade material keeps the drainage layer free of soil.
• Soil: This lightweight soil is designed for green roofs – hurray! Unlike that fluffy stuff you get from a hardware store or garden center, this soil won’t break down, compact, or clog. That’s because it’s made with lightweight aggregate, sand, and touch of compost – just the right blend for your plants. We’ll deliver it in 50 lb bags, so make sure you have a friend at the ready to help. It will feel heavier than other bagged soil, but once it’s installed and wet, it’s actually MUCH lighter (your balcony or roof deck will thank you).
• Plants: Are you ready to step up your plant-parent game? These are no house plants. Your Planter Garden will include a gorgeous combination of mostly-native (outdoor!) plants that are selected for full sun, part-shade, or full shade spaces. The plants are mostly perennials, which means they’ll come back next year if treated right. Like any well-designed garden, complementary plant heights, textures, colors, and bloom time (meaning the month or season that a flowering plant blooms) create a dynamic experience that changes throughout the seasons. Your plants will provide endless attraction as they grow; bloom; sway in the breeze; attract native pollinators and possibly birds; and change foliage color. Woof.
What do they weigh, you ask? Our Planter Gardens are designed to be less than 100 pounds-per-square-foot when fully saturated, which should satisfy the 2018 Philadelphia Building Code for loading on roof decks. We can provide Planter Gardens that are designed to be less than 60 pounds-per-square-foot when fully saturated, which should satisfy the 2018 Philadelphia Building Code for loading on balconies. If you’d like the lighter-weight Gardens, please contact us. As the customer, it’s your sole responsibility to: 1) Confirm the load capacity of your project’s balcony or roof deck; 2) Confirm the local building-code requirements; and 3) Ensure that your roof deck and waterproofing membrane are adequately protected.